Sunday, June 10, 2012

Homemade laundry detergent powder

When its a rainy Sunday  and I don't want to leave the house (or take off pajamas) I tend to catch up on projects that I have been meaning to do. Today was laundry. I have had the ingredients to make my own laundry detergent for weeks. And I finally did it. I scoured (pun intended) lots of websites to find one that didn't require boiling or adding water. I found all the ingredients at local Publix Supermarket. It took 5 minutes.

What you need:
1 bar ivory soap
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda
Grate the soap add the borax and soda. Stir for 5 minutes. Done.
It requires 1 tablespoon per load, more if a heavier load.
I packaged one up to take as a hostess gift this afternoon. Love.
* this is safe for all washing machines. it is low suds. remember suds do not equal clean.

3 comments:

  1. oh my! I just found your blog and I am super excited!! Can't wait to try the detergent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hold up! LOL, ignore that previous post - I was thinking this was a new one! I remember now your pie in the jar posts from last year! Either way, hope to see more fun receipes and how tos from you! You have some great ideas that need to be shared!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks, Helen! I finally realized there was an app that allowed me to upload pictures from my phone! I appreciate your words of encouragement! I have so many things to post now! Exciting stuff. Again, THANKS! Darby

    ReplyDelete