Monday, March 18, 2013

Pasta, from Scratch

We are paying bills. Paying off loans. In other words, we are broke. However,silver lining, this is when I feel I am the most creative and resourceful. I wish I could remember to do these things when we had money in our account. It would save us more money.

I have made pasta from scratch before but with the help of a pasta machine. I still have the machine but I wanted a challenge( and less dishes). I guess next time I will look for something harder because THIS WAS EASY.

I used The Pioneer Woman's Blog for instructions, which there weren't that many. Our family consists of 2 so I used 1.5 cups flour and 3 eggs for 3 servings . I didn't want to come up short since I wasn't making more.

I didn't take process pictures, my hands were covered in dough.

I followed instructions from the blog and it all came together quite nicely. I rolled it as thin as I could get and just used a pizza slicer to cut it. I didn't do it exact and I loved the homemade look of it all.

Every so often my boyfriend's clients will give him tips in the form of food. We have gotten deer sausage,local honey and other baked goodies. This week he brought home halibut that his clients caught in Alaska.

I butterfly cut the halibut steak and popped it in a baking dish I had sprayed with Pam. I sprayed some more Pam on top and sprinkled with dill. Oven on 400. 10 minutes. I cooked the pasta. IT TAKES 2 MINUTES. 2 MINUTES. I am not used to cooking fresh pasta so I think I cooked it a minute too long. Still, delicious. I had some alfredo sauce from a jar (don't judge) in the fridge. I poured a smidge on the pasta then topped with the baked halibut. Fin.

I was proud  of myself and no one was the wiser that this gourmet meal would have never happened if we didn't have 2 dimes to rub together.

No comments:

Post a Comment